Monday, March 12, 2012

My Favorite No Carb Snacks and Recipes.

This is a post I started awhile ago and just now got around to finishing. It is a quick QUICK compilation of the foods I rely on when I'm trying to cut carbs. Which is pretty much all the time. None of these recipes are going to win an award. They are simple, healthy meals that don't take a lot of time or thought (both of which I am dangerously low on at the moment.) Sorry I don't have pictures. I guess I need to start being one of those people who takes pictures of everything I eat.

Creamy Leeks and Tilapia
          
Tastes better than it sounds. Kind of ends up tasting like a chowder.

-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2- 2 cups sliced leeks
- 1/3 cup non fat or light sour cream
-2-4 leeks (depending on size and how hungry you are!)
-Salt and pepper to taste.

1) Slice up one or two leaks depending on what you feel like. I'd say about 1 1/2-2 cups is good. Throw them in a large saute pan with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste. Add a few tablespoons of water, cover and cook on medium for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

2) Add 1/4 cup water and a 1/3 cup of non fat or light sour cream. Mix together and put however many fillets of frozen tilapia on top. I do 2-3 depending on how hungry I am.

3) Season tilapia with a little salt and pepper, cover and let cook for 4 minutes. Flip and repeat. Tilapia should be done after 8 minutes, but always check that the fish is flaky and cooked through.


Yogurt and berry smoothie with cocoa

1) Mix 1 cup nonfat or light vanilla yogurt with 1 cup frozen berries. Add 1 Yakult OR 1/4 cup Kefir OR 1/4 cup of nonfat milk. Mix in desired amount of cocoa powder and blend. Mmmm.

Celery Ranch Chicken Lettuce Wraps


1) Mix chopped chicken breast, chopped celery (for crunch!) and any other veggies (mushrooms, tomatoes, avocado, carrots, radishes, green onions, etc...)

2) Flavor some non fat sour cream with a little ranch dip mix, or seasonings of your choice and add to chicken and veggies.

3) Spoon mixture into big leaves of lettuce to wrap up and eat!

Scrambled eggs with a bit of goat cheese, cherry tomatoes, and a little arugula.


Pretty self explanatory. This is my breakfast everyday. If I'm trying to be healthier, I do egg whites.


Egg Drop Soup with Brussels Sprouts


See here. 

Easy Crock Pot Chicken and Vegetable Soup


Such an easy meal! You just need:

- 4 cups of chicken broth
 -Chopped veggies. Choose from: cabbage, diced canned tomatoes, carrots, celery, onion, green onion, or anything else you love that sounds good :)
-Cut up chicken breast
-Season with garlic, salt, and pepper to taste.

Put into a crock pot and cook on low for 7 hours, or high for 3-4hours.

I make this is huge batches and portion it out for my lunches for the week. Saves me time and calories.


Oven Baked BBQ Chicken with Sauteed Brussels Sprouts for Two


-6-8 Frozen chicken tenders
-BBQ sauce
-4 cups of Brussels sprouts whole.
-2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 3-4 cloves minced garlic
-Salt and pepper to taste


1) Place chicken in sprayed glass baking dish. I do frozen chicken tenders, which I cook at 365 for 25-30 minutes. Season your chicken with salt and pepper before putting into the oven. Halfway through, take the chicken out and pour your favorite BBQ sauce on.

2) Cut the ends off of your Brussels sprouts (about 4 cups whole for two people) and remove the leaves that easily come off. Cut the remainder of the sprouts in half. (Use leaves AND halves!)

3) Warm 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add about 3 cloves minced garlic. Cook for a minute. Add Brussels sprouts and 1/4 cup of water. Season with salt and pepper. Stir frequently. Cook until Brussels sprouts are just tender, about 5 minutes.




Grapefruit with truvia sprinkled on top.


I often eat this as a midmorning snack. You'd be surprised at how good Truvia is as an alternative to sugar.


Cauliflower pizza crust!!


Great recipe here. I would sub reduced fat cheese, or use less cheese and an extra egg white. Play with it! It's delicious!


Lettuce Wrapped Ground Turkey Tacos.

Costco has the best deal around on lean ground turkey meat. And we love it! This is a really simple concept. Use lean ground turkey instead of beef, and lettuce instead of tortillas. It will save you a ton of calories and fat! Just don't go overboard on the cheese, and use low fat sour cream. Tip: mix your sour cream with Tapatio. Heaven.

1 comment:

  1. Great ideas. I, too try and watch my carbs. So nice to have new things to eat. It an get a bit monotonous, sometimes :)
    ~Gina

    ReplyDelete